John Wen is currently the Head of Industrial and Systems Engineering at Rensselaer and a Professor in the Department of Electrical, Computer, and Systems Engineering with a joint appointment in the Department of Mechanical, Aerospace, and Nuclear Engineering. Dr. Wen's research interest lies in the modeling and control of dynamical systems with applications to precision motion, robot manipulation, thermal management, lighting systems and materials processing.
B.Eng., Electrical Engineering (Hon), McGill University, 1979
M.S., Electrical Engineering, Univ. of Illinois, 1981
Ph.D. Electrical Engineering, Rensselaer Poly. Inst., 1985
- Department of Defense, Manufacturing USA Inst. on Robots in Manufacturing, Lead: Carnegie Mellon University. 1/17-1/22.
- Office of Naval Research, Distributed System Level Thermal Management of High Transient Heat Loads using Microchannel Evaporators 8/16–8/19.
- NASA Goddard Flight Research Center, Technology Development for Robotic Servicing of Orbital Space Assets, 1/14-9/17.
- Army Research Off., Light-based Circadian Rhythm Modeling and Control, 12/13-8/14.
- National Science Foundation, Real Time Control of Grain Growth in Metals, 7/13- 6/16.
- National Science Foundation, SEP: Human-Mediated Intelligent Control of Building Energy Systems, 8/12-8/16.
Fellow of IEEE (01). IEEE Control Sys. Soc. Transition to Practice Award (13).
Chinese Acad. of Sci. Oversea Assessor, 04-09. JSPS Senior Visiting Scientist (97)
- Z. Yang, D.T. Pollock, J.T. Wen, “Optimization and Predictive Control of a Vapor Compression Cycle under Transient Pulse Heat Load,” Int. J. of Refrig. 1/17.
- L. Lu, J.T. Wen, “Human-Directed Coordinated Control of Assistive Mobile Manipulator,” Int. J. of Intelligent Robotics and Applications, 10/16.
- C. Zheng et al. “Simulation, Microfabrication and Control of a Micro-Heater Array,” IEEE Trans. on Mechatronics, 1/17.
- W. Qiao, J.T. Wen, A. Julius, “Entrainment Control of Phase Dynamics,” IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control, 1/17.
- S. Gupta, K. Kar, S. Mishra, J.T. Wen, “BEES: Real-Time Occupant Feedback and Environmental Learning Framework For Collaborative Thermal Management in Multi-Zone, Multi-Occupant Buildings,” Energy & Buildings, 6/16.
- D. Kruse, J.T. Wen, R.J. Radke, “Sensor-Based Dual-Arm Tele-Robotic System,” IEEE Trans. on Automation Science and Engineering, 1/15.
- H. Bai, M. Arcak, J.T. Wen, Cooperative Control: A Systematic Passivity-Based Approach, Springer-Verlag, 2011.
- - U.S. Patent 7,345,448 (3/18/08) “Adaptive Command Filtering for Servomechanism Control Systems,” Watt, Alpay, Unrath, Potsaid, Wen.
- - U.S. Patent 7,742,213 (6/22/10) “Adaptive Scanning Optical Microscope,” Bellouard, Potsaid, Wen.